Monday, May 10, 2010

Saturday, 8th May

Crete

After our eventful last couple of days we are in hay.

Second day here and it’s been utterly marvellous.

Alan and Eileen met us off the plane at Chania Airport at 11.20pm. Drive to their house takes about 40 minutes from the airport. Sitting out on the balcony with the most wonderful view Alan says something I haven’t heard for a long time. 12.23am: would you like a wee dram? Nah: course not!!

To a restaurant in a wee place called ????? Dunno: all Greek to me where they all ate calamari, Liz ate sardines, and I was sick all over the cheesy things (just joking: I put up a wall of olive oil and vinegar jars so I couldn’t see the stuff. Four hours later we were in another restaurant in Almarita to celebrate my birthday. Greek dish beans and tomatoes for me with Liz devouring mousaka. The local red wine tastes like sherry so Alan drank it all.
Today we drove over to Palsomethingorother on the other side of Crete. Great trip taking about an hour. Passed through Floria and Kandalos which were the towns of a German atrocity during the last war when the Waffen SS (I think) murdered every villager in both towns because the Greek resistance had killed a couple of Nazi officers. Saw the caves where the resistance hid.

Another lunchtime meal with Alan sitting right in front of me eating some kind of deep fried fish (called rather unadventurously “small fish” they also have a dish called Great Beans!) whole…. disgusting Perthian git. I had a swim in the Libyan Sea (ruddy cold) while Liz and Eileen went shopping.

At the moment Alan is cooking some kind of interesting meal while the rest of us sit outside listening to the birds and not feeling guilty.

Having just broken an expensive Tuscan ornament in our room I have decided to agree with everyone in any argument started by Alan and become an Etruscan nun. Alan is cooking tonight’s meal so I’ll be watching very carefully for any foreign chemical objects on my plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment